Friday, February 08, 2008

More Elvis

My Florida trailer sits on a lot right by a corner where there are a few trees. The lot where the trees are used to be a separate lot as was the space right next to it but these aren't rented out to campers anymore. Fortunate for me because that gives me the equivalent of 3 lots.

We preferred to park our car on one of these lots rather than in front of the trailer so my husband asked permission to put in a bit of a parking lot there...fits 2 cars. I nailed up an Elvis parking sign to the tree this year and I guess one of our maintenance men, Joe, spotted it. He was a good friend of my husband's and has always been kind and helpful to me.

The other day he drove up in his golf cart and walked up to me. He held out his closed hand and told me to hold my hand out. Now, never in my life has anyone put a bug in my hand so why do I have this irrational fear that someone will do that?? I was afraid to put my hand out so he promised that what he had in his hand wouldn't hurt me.

I put out my hand and he dropped a small fridge magnet into it. On the front of the magnet was a picture of Elvis looking very young and tender. I was so touched by Joe's gift and promised him I'd never "sell it on Ebay". It will have a place of honor on my fridge forever.

Small kindnesses add so much to our lives and I'm sure Joe has no idea that his little gift gives me happiness every time I look at it. The picture of Elvis looking so darned cute and lovable reminds me over and over why I fell in love with him way back in 1956.

3 comments:

Kim said...

It will stay on your fridge in Florida right??????

patsyrose said...

I don't have much Elvis stuff here so, yes, this is where it belongs. The larger collection of Elvis is all back home where you'll have to adopt it if and when I go on to my reward!

Shelley said...

Yet one more reason we want to keep you around! :-)

Love ya!!