Sunday, February 10, 2008

Stereotypes

When I hear someone denigrate another person because of their skin color or nationality I think what a pathetic reason that is to dislike someone. It's ridiculous to judge a person unworthy when you don't even know them.

I watched a T.V. show about an Italian man who lived in the U.S. back in the 1940's and suffered the cruel name calling that often is inflicted on people of obvious ethnic background. He was called wop, dago, etc. I remember hearing those nasty words when I was a child but never used them myself. I was afraid the Italian kid might be from a mafioso family and would have me killed. Silly how we build up walls between "us" and "them".

When I became a teenager I felt differently about those Italian kids...especially the boys. Tall, dark, and handsome, who could resist? I guess hormones are the secret to breaking down the barriers.

The Italian man who was insulted by the cruel names? He was Frank Sinatra.



No comments: