Tuesday, April 29, 2008

How the Squirrels got into the Attic

Many years ago my husband installed 4 roof vents in an effort to help discharge some of the hot air that built up in the attic. Great idea if he'd finished the job 100% but my husband was the kind of man who was never afraid to tackle a job but tended to make do with what he had on hand instead of going out to get what he needed.

Apparently when he installed the roof vents he only had enough screening for 3 of them. Wouldn't you know that those smart little squirrels would discover the one vent with no screening, claw their way into a nice warm attic for the winter, and cause me trouble.

I'm happy that the entry point was discovered but I wonder how much rain and snow followed the squirrels through the hole they opened up. My good old handyman will place a trap in the attic to catch any unwanted guests and then seal the entrance once he knows no squirrels are left inside. I've read that squirrels are territorial and will probably try to return so I hope they don't do more damage.

There's nothing else for me to do but pay the bill.

No comments: