Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Ritilan...Big Mistake

I saw on the news that it's been discovered that Ritilan shouldn't be given to children who have or might develop heart problems. I wonder if the people who are saying this now are the same people who are responsible for offering the drug to armies of children for years.

One of my grandchildren was a problem child in school. He was difficult to handle and impetuous to the point of lunacy at times which made his teachers (not trained doctors, by the way) pressure my daughter constantly to put him on Ritilan. It would make their jobs easier, don't you see!

How could we adults have not understood that drugging a goodly portion of the children in the classroom in order to create a more peaceful atmosphere might not be a smart thing to do? How could we have fallen for the hype built up around a drug aimed at keeping children in line? Thank heavens my daughter (and I) saw the wrongness in drugging a little boy to make him docile and refused to allow it.

And now our esteemed medical geniuses have found a fly in the ointment. The drug that countless thousands of children took into their bodies on the advice and insistence of their teachers has been found to be dangerous for the child's heart.

They already knew Ritilan could stunt the growth of a developing little boy or girl and still pushed for it's use but maybe possible heart damage might get a few people worried about lawsuits.

Personally, I think every child who was put on Ritilan to control bratty behaviour should sue the pants off the government which allowed such a dangerous drug to be sold. They should also sue their local Board of Education if the drug was given because of teacher/principal pressure.

I'm sure anyone reading this can understand how I feel about the new vaccine being pushed on young girls to help prevent certain cancers caused in part by sexual activity. It terrifies me how easily we're swayed to accept giving new and not necessarily proven medications to our children.

At 21, my grandson is still a brat but he's matured a bit and should be calm and capable of making better choices in another 50 years or so. All in all, I'm still grateful he wasn't subjected to Ritilan when he was just a little boy.

No comments: