Sunday, April 20, 2008

Update on Wet Leaves

How do I tell my precious grandsons that all their work last fall bagging tons of leaves from my backyard has turned into a problem for me? The sweet, well meaning guys raked up about 14 paper bags of leaves but made the mistake of letting them sit in the driveway all winter where they were subjected to rain and snow. Let me tell you that paper yard waste bags will not stand up well to much rain and snow. The leaves become saturated and heavy. The bags become saturated and the bottoms rip out.

I spent many hours yesterday transferring the heavy, soggy, stinky beyond belief leaves into plastic bags but I'm not sure the garbage collectors will take them in those bags. Also, they're so heavy that I can't even lift them. My only hope is that somehow the leaves will dry out and I can finally get rid of them.

I am very grateful to my wonderful boys for trying to help me but I'll just have to explain to them that the bags must be put out in the trash immediately. Then I have to hope they'll still want to rake leaves again next fall.

No comments: