Thursday, May 29, 2008

Drug Bust

The local druggies were finally raided today after being in business for 3 or 4 years. The police knew they were there and what they were doing but laws prohibited them from acting until enough legal proof was available.

I'd been away for most of the day and just went out to water my flowers when one of my neighbors asked me if I'd seen the action. Apparently the SWAT team arrived about 15 minutes before and raided the house across the street. Half the neighborhood was out to watch because this is actually a sedate, working class neighborhood whose biggest problem, outside of these particular druggies, are a few yappy dogs.

We all stood around and watched as two very young girls were brought out in handcuffs and placed in a paddy wagon. A young man, not the renter of the house, was also brought out in handcuffs and placed in with them. All of the doors and windows were opened wide to let the fumes out (I'm assuming this because many of the police officers went in with face masks). My neighbor said that the Hydro company had already been there to turn off power to the house so I'm also guessing that meant there was a grow op over there. We always wondered about that because all windows were always covered with blinds so no-one could see inside. That's one of the dead giveaways because normal people don't live like that.

The neighbors began making bets about how long the druggies would be out of business and my bet was they'd be going strong by tonight. I don't much care about adults making the choice to use drugs but this house was noted for the number of high school kids who went there on their lunch hour. If an adult wants to destroy their brain cells they should be free to do it just as long as they don't use and drive. Children are another matter completely.

I hope the main culprits from the drug house have been caught and charged but we all know how money, connections, and unscrupulous lawyers set the bad guys free. In any case, if they don't come back that house is going to sit for months looking like an eyesore. I can only imagine what has been done to the inside and how much work it will take to renovate it. The owner who allowed these characters to rent his/her house will get what they deserve...a big reno bill.

No comments: