Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Squirrels are Back!!

I cannot believe I still have squirrels in the attic. Kevin, the pest control guy, came yesterday and removed the oneway cage and put in a new roof vent and permanent cage. I hadn't heard a sound from the attic in over a week so we assumed the damn squirrels were gone.

This morning I heard that horrible scurrying overhead and just hoped so much the squirrels were on the roof and not in the attic. I hurried outside to look and couldn't believe my eyes. There were 2 squirrels inside the roof vent cage trying to get out. They could only have come up out of the attic and were now trapped between the roof vent and the permanent cage. I could have cried.

I phoned Kevin and left a message on his answering machine, feeling I wouldn't hear from him till Monday but he came right up and climbed onto the roof for a look. He reinstalled the oneway cage and then came down to talk to me. I wasn't angry with him but just frustrated with the situation and needed to know how those little buggers got back in. Kevin said he'd left a small opening for baby squirrels to exit or return (I don't understand the reasoning for this) and the larger squirrels must have been able to squeeze through it. The new oneway cage has no such opening so now we try again. He checked all around the house once more and could find no other openings for squirrels to get in my house so we'll have to wait and see what happens now.

I'd been told that getting squirrels out of your house was very, very difficult and now I know how true that is.

4 comments:

Kim said...

Briv brae little soldier. This will soon be a distant memory.
xoxoxo

patsyrose said...

I'm very afraid this is only the beginning of an increasingly nasty experience.

Kojac67 said...

Squirrels are no fun in the house and a little troublesome outside like planting walnuts in the mulch of the flower beds. We have lots of walnut tree growing this summer among the flowers. But they are still fun to watch if we can keep them out of the house huh..

patsyrose said...

I've long stopped thinking of squirrels as cute little creatures in the yard. Remove the bushy tail and they'd look like a yard full of rats. It will take me a long time to enjoy them again, if ever.