Saturday, June 21, 2008

Making Jewellery

I got out all my old costume jewellery today plus all the new parts and pieces I've been putting together to make necklaces. Mary bought amethyst beads at the store the other day and wanted to make earings out of them so I thought this would be easy. No.

Apparently there are certain little doodad parts that you need to hang a bead from the hook that goes through your ear but we didn't know this. I tried taking some old earrings apart to get these little pieces and managed to put her amethyst earrings together but it took us forever to do it. I won't be making earrings again.

We spent most of the time taking the old jewellery apart and storing the pieces in nice little boxes I got from the dollar store. Each box has about a dozen compartments so I could organize the parts according to color and usage. This was all much more fun than making the darned earrings.

The funniest thing was not being able to find my neat little wire snips and having to use one of my husbands giant snips (I think they were used to cut sheet metal)to cut teensy, tiny little wires off the old earrings. We may not have gotten much accomplished today but we sure laughed a lot trying.

No comments: