Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Today on my Homefront

My baby girl is still sleeping but this is the day she goes home. Mary and I are taking her first to the Lasik clinic so they can check her eyes once more and then across the border. We plan to do a bit of shopping first and then take her to the airport. She'll probably spend the next 2 years in Bolivia with only sporadic visits back to the States. I'll be so glad when she's settled in one place, preferrably within driving distance.

I haven't heard any noise in the attic so maybe the squirrels have vacated the premises. The one-way cage is still on the roof vent but I'm a little afraid to have it removed and the permanent one installed. What if a squirrel is still inside? I'm afraid I'd have a nervous breakdown if that was the case.

The weather is perfect today... sunny, warm, and breezy.

The drug dealer's house is vacant and it looks like they aren't coming back. Whoopee!

It's so quiet and peaceful right now. The patio doors are open and a fresh, clean breeze is coming through them. The red/white impatiens I paid through the nose for is really beginning to fill out in the deck planters. The sound of early morning traffic filters through the trees and I can just imagine all the working people heading for jobs they love or hate. Been there. Done that. But today I have the time to savor a coffee while I play on the computer and wait for my daughter to wake up.

It will be hard to say goodbye to her but I know she's going home to a wonderful husband and 3 great kids. It's where she belongs now. But I remember when she was a tiny girl on my lap telling me the stories of her day at school. And I remember when her home was right here with me. Sigh.

No comments: