Sunday, July 20, 2008

Target Should Retrain Staff

We, the buying public, really put up with a lot of crap from way too many sales people. It's almost become a pleasant surprise to us when we're greeted by a smiling, friendly sales person who actually makes it their mission to help us. Just so they know...we appreciate this immensely and it makes us want to buy your merchandise.

Over the past few months I've been subjected to sales people who couldn't speak English; worked in a nursery but knew precious little about the plants; walked right past me as I asked for help; kept up a personal conversation with another employee as I patiently waited directly in front of her (actually I got mad after about 30 seconds and interrupted her conversation...she gave ME a dirty look); knew absolutely nothing about where anything was in his store; etc., etc., etc.

None of these things bothered me as much as the treatment my daughter and I received in Target a few days ago. We were visiting in the Lorton, Virginia area and were in Target looking for back-to-school supplies and clothes for my grandson. Now, Target is a fairly clean store with usually helpful staff but we managed to run into one who should receive a poor conduct medal from her employer.

Our cart was loaded with books, pencils, pens, and all the other stuff schools don't supply students with these days. Clothing on our list included shoes, pyjamas, and a nice button down shirt. We gave up on the shirt and pyjamas because what was available was pretty crummy. We went to the shoe section and wandered up and down many rows of shoes but couldn't find the dress shoes my grandson needed (he's 9 1/2) so we asked one of the salesladies in the department who happened to be standing with 2 or 3 other salesladies who were working on something (I think restocking or just cleaning up). She said not one word but pointed we weren't sure where. Being a polite Canadian, I said "Thank you" and headed in the general direction she'd pointed to. It took me a few steps to realize just how rude she had been and I fumed all the way out of the store, occasionally mad enough to report her to the store manager but not mad enough to want her fired. I'm wondering who supervises the training of Target's sales people. Surely no store manager would approve of having their customers treated this way.

A note to Target...Having been insulted by your employee in this manner, I now have a very low opinion of the professionalism with which your company is run. It will be a long, long time before I drag myself and my money into one of your stores. You might want to give your employees a refresher course on how to treat customers.

Then we went to Walmart. I was looking for string ? baskets but couldn't find them and wasn't sure how to explain to a clerk what I wanted so I approached a group of sales people who were also either restocking or cleaning up. I asked one clerk if she could help me find the baskets. Immediately, she dropped what she was doing and walked with me to where she thought they might be. We didn't find any so she took me to another clerk in that department and they both tried to help me. I was in awe. It made me want to spend all my consumer dollars at Walmart!!

Actually, we bought 2 terrific pair of pyjamas and a real neat shirt for my grandson at Walmart, too. Good prices, good stuff, and professional employees.

Target...keep that in mind and make sure your sales people understand how easy it is to drive customers away.

No comments: