Saturday, July 05, 2008

Words That Offend

There seem to be far too many words that are "politically incorrect". Never in my life have I used the "n" word because I, personally, find it unsavory. I don't like to hear others use it, either, but I would never support a ban on free speech so therefore it is their right to use it freely. I don't and that's all that matters to me.

Some people are offended by certain words much too easily. Maybe they like to be offended because it gives them a feeling of righteousness, I suppose. I always thought it silly that being called "honky" was supposed to offend white people. It doesn't, as far as I know.

In my last blog I mentioned that Newfoundlanders have often been called "Newfies" and that it was offensive to some even though I can't understand why. I received a reply to that blog from one irate person who tried to insult me for being so "stupid". I've been called worse so it didn't bother me, just got me wondering why anyone would get so angry over that particular word.

We Canadians are called "Canucks" and that doesn't seem to bother anyone. I live on an escarpment and we're sometimes called "hillbillies". So what? Is it possible our skins are a little too thin if we get our backs up over a word?

Years ago gay people were labelled with all kinds of potentially insulting words but they got smart and started using those words themselves. Psychologically, it took the sting out of what had been considered an insult. Smart people.

For me there's only one word I consider an insult and that's the "n" word. But not "Newfie". I still think it's a kindly monicker for an east coaster. My husband was from the maritimes and he never thought the word insulting. Neither do I.

No comments: