Thursday, August 21, 2008

Adoptees/Family Search in Canada

I've been trying without luck to find a website where I can search for my two brothers who were adopted back in the 1940's or 50's. It shouldn't be this difficult, especially with all the resources available on the internet.

What I have found are websites that are no longer active. I'm not very computer literate and this drives me crazy. Why would a government website committed to allowing adoptees and their birth families make contact not have a valid website? If one is no longer in service then there should be a link to one that is.
One of my American readers sent me a website to try and it is also not active but I'm very grateful for any suggestions and will try them all until I find the right one. I've also sent e-mails to supposedly people in charge of adoptees searches but haven't received a reply and don't even know if the e-mail went where it was supposed to go.

My two brothers, Ronald and Gerald Goseit, were born in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada between 1946 and 1948. Their birth parents were Isabel and Walter Goseit. They were put into foster care in 1949 and adopted some time after. If anyone can direct me to the proper website to further my search it would be ever so much appreciated.

People who grow up knowing who their parents and siblings are can't understand the empty feeling we carry when we don't know those basic things. The fact that there is a government agency making it difficult for blood kin to find each other makes me mad.

Maybe it's just my inept handling of the internet but I still think it should be an easier process for me to find my brothers. I've been making attempts on the internet for 5 years now with no results and often wonder if I'm fighting a lost cause.

No comments: