Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Being Useful

My daughter has been having some work done on her house and needed me to be there for the workmen because she has a job. I get the feeling she thinks she's imposing on me by taking up some of my days but that couldn't be farther from the truth. I like being useful.

One of the things I've noticed in my life is that people have a driving need to be needed. It's not that any number of other people couldn't accomplish the same purpose but we like the idea that it's us, not them, that has been chosen to make someone else's life a little easier.

There is a fine line between being needed and being used, though, and that's why we tread carefully when asking for favors. With my children, I don't even have to think twice about whether or not they're just using me. It isn't in their nature.

I've had friends who surprised me by crossing that invisible line too many times and it's one that can only be tolerated up to a point. One incident too many and the friendship falls away. Luckily, it's seldom happened so I guess I've mainly made good choices in friends.

I have terrific neighbors (both here and in Florida) who offer to help me every way possible but I take care to only accept their help when it's something I just am unable to do myself. I also make every effort to not take advantage of their generosity too often. Like I said, it's a fine line and we need to be aware of it constantly.

So tomorrow I'll spend the day at my daughter's house while she has a new furnace and air conditioner installed. Poor me...I'll have to play with the dogs, watch my shows on T.V., and raid her well stocked refrigerator. I'll feel very useful.




2 comments:

Kim said...

Thank you sooooooo much. It really is appreciated, they don't like it too much that I have been paid for a full time position and have treated it quite like a part time job. You are needed!
xoxox

patsyrose said...

We need each other, darlin'.