Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Searching For Adopted Siblings

I've been doing some research on how to find out any information on my two brothers who were placed in foster care way back in 1949. Up until fairly recently it was extremely difficult to gather information from adoption records but civil rights groups pounded away until we finally saw some light at the end of the tunnel.

I never did understand why a government agency could hold the power of keeping birth parents and birth siblings from finding the adoptee and vice versa. It only makes sense that the screen should be lifted if both sides want contact.

My mother was in an abusive marriage back in 1949 when she left her husband. She was then pregnant with my sister and had to rely on the kindness of her aging parents to take her in. We were very poor and there were 5 of us living in 2 rooms so the two little boys had to be placed in foster care. In time, I believe the boys were placed for adoption, hopefully to the same family.

I have applied for "adoption disclosure" from adoption.disclosure@css.gov.on.ca and am presently waiting to hear from them. This is the agency to contact if you want info on adoptions in Ontario, Canada.

Besides wanting to make contact with my blood kin, I also want them to know the truth about why they were given up for adoption. My mother loved them dearly but life dealt her some terrible blows and she had no choice in the matter. My grandparents did all they could by taking my sister and me in and raising us. With limited space and limited finances, I believe it would have been impossible for them or my mother to keep the boys. My stepfather is another matter but he's passed away and has faced the consequences of his actions by now.

If and when I receive any information I'll be sure to blog it.


Update: Received my e-mail back as undeliverable. I'll have to check further and see if the website I used was an outdated one.

3 comments:

Gershom Kaligawa said...

Hi!
A friend in Canada sent me this link for you :)

http://www.canadianadopteesregistry.org/

:) good luck

patsyrose said...

Thank you for trying to help me but that website is also unavailable. I'll just keep trying anthing else I find.

Thanks again for your help!

patsyrose said...
This comment has been removed by the author.