Sunday, August 31, 2008

Caucasion Minority by 2036?

I heard that the caucasions in North America will be in the minority by 2036. Judging by the way caucasions are treated by minorities now, I'm expecting little will change. I honestly feel, in general, that I'm shown greater respect by so-called minorities than by other caucasions.

My sister and I met for coffee today at the local mall and had a nice conversation with an immigrant family. I say "immigrant" with some uncertainty because their English was perfect so it could better be assumed they were born here. I tried to judge their ancestry and think they might have been Indian or something close. They were beautiful people, in appearance and friendliness.

Their daughter spoke easily with us and told us how she's only 4 years old right now but she will grow taller and older in time. Her little brother (1 year old) looked slightly fearful of us at first but soon began to trust our smiles and soft voices.

My sister and I talk to anyone. If they're friendly it doesn't matter what color, race, or sex they are. If they appear to be foreigners it's even more interesting because we can learn a little something from them. If they're cold, then we just leave them alone.

I've always wanted to take a college or university course on religion so that I can better understand the mindset of our latest immigrants. I suppose that Moslems, for one, have been in Canada for ages but I'm only recently becoming aware of them because their numbers are growing. Having no religion of my own, I still believe that religion rules the world. It certainly is the cause of most of the turmoil on earth.

The little family we spoke to today opened my eyes just a bit more. They were in the food court of the mall but had brought their own food from home. They appeared to be well dressed and well educated, but they were different in that they were doing something very unusual...but sensible. They were all eating from plastic containers and the food smelled incredible. We asked what it was and was told "lemon rice", and then the lady told us how to make it. How nice.

I looked around me at all the overweight people (me included) who were munching on overpriced fast food we'd purchased at the concessions and then I looked at this lovely little family sitting there eating their own healthy food and wondered idly who were the idiots and who were the smart ones.

Instead of laughing at strange new customs and habits, we could learn a lot if we judge them with an open mind. I'm not going to be taking my own food with me to the food court any time soon but I really do admire this family for doing their own thing.



2 comments:

Shelley said...

Just to let you know...it's already 2008...1036 and 1936 have long passed us by! :-)

patsyrose said...

I just noticed that as I reread it this morning. I'm such a dope!