Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Closing of Summer, 2008

This has been an eventful summer for me. Some of it was crummy but most was pretty good, even though we had way too much rain.

I accomplished a lot more necessary work than I'd anticipated but sometimes you just have to deal with what comes your way and that's what I did.

The squirrels in the attic were by far my worst experience with the newly discovered mice a more distant second. The squirrels are gone (fingers crossed) and the mice are on their way (fingers crossed).

I had to have the basement floor relaid after it got damaged by the water that came in the basement last fall and I had to have the bathroom shower retiled when the old tile started falling off. Then the front and back gardens needed reframing but that worked out well because I finally got a stone wall around the front garden. This was also the year to stain the back deck and it looks like new once again.

The trees in the back yard have grown so much that they had to be cut back and away from the roof. I was pretty anxious to have that job done so that the squirrels couldn't make it up there quite so easily.

This was the year my 22 year old livingroom sheers decided to shred in the wash so they had to be replaced. The new ones are gorgeous. And this was the year I finally had parts of my car repainted because the clearcoat was coming off. I only had this work done because I'm keeping the car for another 2 years. Oh yes, I also had the "kill switch" removed from the car and had the cigarette lighter put back in so I could use the GPS I bought last fall.

This was supposed to be the most relaxing summer I've had in many years but it was not to be. It wasn't horrible but it was a lot more work than I'd planned.

As the summer of 2008 comes to a close I'll mostly remember it for all the rain we had. And I will definitely remember it as the year of the squirrels.

No comments: