Monday, August 18, 2008

Coincidence

On August 28, 1968, my husband and I bought our first house. It's the house I still live in till this day. It was so exciting, having a home that was ours...and the bank's. I'd always thought of home ownership as the best security we can build for ourselves and I still believe that.

On August 28, 2008, my eldest grandson takes possession of his very first home and I'm tickled to think of the coincidence...exactly 40 years after his Grampa and I bought our home.

In 1968 my husband was earning about $8,000 a year and our house cost $19,000. I think the ratio of earnings to the cost of a house these days might be a little worse but for us in 1968 it was frightening to owe so much money. Even with the fear of so much debt I had no doubt we were making the right decision to buy.

We bought a 15 year old house that needed a lot of updating and my husband spent the rest of his life prettying it up for me. If left on his own, not only wouldn't one thing have been changed but he wouldn't even have bought a house. It's us women that are the nest builders, or maybe I should say nest planners.

We tore down walls, put in new bathrooms and kitchen, repainted many times, built a deck out back, and put new steps in the front. We built a rec room where only a basement stood before. We put in new front and back doors and even new basement steps. Owning a house means forever updating but I loved the anticipation of improvement. My husband wasn't so enthusiastic.

I've spent a large portion of my lifetime building and rebuilding my nest knowing that one day I'd have to leave it and move on. I'm still working on my five year plan, though, and very happy where I am. When the time comes for me to sell this house I hope the new owners will let me come back and see how they changed it. There'll be no resentment or disappointment on my part.

I'm so happy for my grandson and his wife who are soon to be homeowners. It's a moment they'll never forget.

No comments: