Thursday, August 07, 2008

Looking For Mr. Bill Riskin

My family knows the story but I just thought that maybe someone who reads this blog might have some answers for me.

I was born to an unwed mother in 1940 and have never met my father. I was told his name was Bill (William) Riskin and, since the name always sounded Jewish to me, I've had this inner hope I might be part Jewish.

I've always felt set apart from the family that raised me...mother and grandmother. I look like them but I'm very different inside so maybe I take after that illusive father of mine.

The fact that he took off like a thief in the night when he found out my mother was pregnant hasn't endeared me to him. The fact that he's never tried to contact me (his blood kin, the child of his loins) leads me to believe he is of poor character.

Still, just once in a while, I wonder about him.

Anyone out there ever hear of a man named Bill Riskin who was probably born sometime close to 1918? Just think, I probably have oodles of relatives out there who don't know I exist. But one day back in November of 1939, a little seed was planted and here I am. Thank you for your contribution, Bill.

No comments: