Thursday, September 18, 2008

Discomfort 6 Months After Root Canal

I went through a root canal in the spring with very little trouble but a minor ache in the area has continued to this day. It's not strong enough to be called a tooth-ache, just a persistent dull ache. I was supposed to have the crown put on this fall but both my dentist and I thought we should wait until I get back from Florida in the spring.

He's exrayed the tooth twice and found no decay, infection, or hint of a crack so we're both at a loss to understand why it's bothering me. Today he suggested a few options, one costing a fortune and involving a dental surgeon, and the other being extraction. If necessary, I could then have an implant but that also costs a fortune. The tooth is a molar way in the back and not easily seen so maybe I'd just leave the spot empty.

At this stage, knowing the tooth might have to be pulled, I think it's wise to leave it alone until April and make my decision then. This is such a disappointment because I've already gone through an expensive root canal and thought all was well. My only worry is that I'll have to find a nice clean dental office in Florida if the tooth needs removal while I'm there.

Well, life is full of disappointments and, in the full scheme of things, this one isn't the worst thing that could happen.

No comments: