Thursday, September 11, 2008

I Stand Corrected

Shelley advised me that she was 23 years old when she "ran away" from home and not 22. I've always referred to her leaving as her running away because she and a girlfriend not only moved into their own apartment but went all the way to Texas to do it. Sad time for me but exciting time for her.

I remember that day like it was yesterday. The girls had rented a Uhaul truck and it sat in the driveway with all their worldly goods in it. Young girls living at home don't have many worldly goods so it was a ragged pile. The girls were so young and filled with youthful enthusiasm, anxious to step out on their own.

I think it was October but I could be wrong about that, too. I do know there was a drizzly rain because I watched them drive away, up the street and around the corner until they were out of sight. Of course I cried as any mother naturally would. I worried for their safety but I also envied them for their courage in making their own way.

Shelley had landed a job as an R.N. in Corpus Christie, Texas but I don't remember what her girlfriend was going to do. Her best friend, Janice, had also gotten a nursing job there and was supposed to go with them but her mother was seriously ill so she stayed behind for a while.

It was a life changing move for all of them and I'll always remember the inner hope they radiated as they drove away. Janice did eventually make it to Texas but by then Shelley had met her future husband and was ready to move on with him to Florida. Life sometimes travels at an accelerated rate when we least expect it.

Within 6 months of leaving her childhood home, my baby had found the man she would spend the rest of her life with. The fact that her family loves John like one of our own is a bonus. I really do believe that we are exactly where we are meant to be and moving in a direction that we are meant to go. The secret is to follow your instincts.

Anyway, the gist of this story is that Shelley did indeed run away from home when she was 23. It was meant to be.

2 comments:

Shelley said...

It was June and John would have to be someone mighty special to keep me away from my beloved family, not to mention putting up with all these bloomin' moves!

patsyrose said...

It couldn't have been June. You met John shortly after you moved to Texas and I visited you there in March. You couldn't have been gone for 9 months before I saw you...could you???

luvluvluv