Monday, September 22, 2008

Odd Pains

It irritates me to have odd pains such as the one in my root canaled (such a word??) tooth. Now I have a strange, almost kink, just above my bad knee. It also comes and goes sometimes within seconds. It's not anything I'll go and see the doctor about because he's sure to waste my time with exrays and further doctor's appointments.

I noticed a feeling of fullness and stiffness above my left knee but ignored it. The other night I lay in bed and noticed it hurt like heck (like stretching a tight muscle) when I bent my knee more than half way but then it would gradually ease and go away, only to return a few moments later. It felt like a kink or knot just above my knee. I wondered about it but it didn't keep me from sleeping and then it felt normal in the morning.

Yesterday it made it's presence known mildly only when I walked up and down stairs but then disappeared once more. I hate the fact that our bodies break down on us as we age, especially if we don't take care of ourselves, and maybe this is just a signal that a few leg muscles aren't functioning at full capacity. Any discomfort connected with my knee scares me because the few times I twisted it were agonizing and I don't want that ever again.

Another reason I won't go see my family doctor is that he'll send me for all these tests which won't show anything because, by then, the discomfort will have disappeared completely. Then he'll glance at my chart and tell me I need a mammogram (which I've never agreed to) and a pap smear (I hate them). You can't just go to your family doctor of over 30 years and have him/her just deal with the ache of the moment. They have some silly notion they need to take care of you.

Anyway, in diagnosing myself I think my problem is an irritated muscle caused by over-extension when I kicked up too high dancing to "New York, New York" at the 2007 New Year's party. At my age it's never going to heal completely and I'll just have to accept that. I'm happy I can continue to dance even if high kicking is no longer an option.





No comments: