Monday, September 22, 2008

Obtaining a Vendor's Permit

In scrounging around for places to sell my jewellery, I was sent off in the direction of the local hospitals by my neighbor. I'd never thought about selling there but it's a terrific idea.

I contacted the person in charge of renting out the tables and she was very, very friendly and helpful but she said I needed a vendor's permit in order to sell anything at the hospitals.

So I called city hall and was transferred from one department to another until I was given a number for Canada revenue where people selling brand new merchandise can get their vendor's permits...or business licences. I'm not sure if they're the same thing. All lines were busy so I was then given a website where I could do everything online. That was if I could understand what was wanted from me! Do I really need a business name to sell a few hundred dollars worth of merchandise a year? I don't know.

Computer illiterates like me shouldn't even try to do this online so I'm going to hightail my butt down to the government office tomorrow and do it in person. Believe it or not, I am having so much fun making these arrangements and I hope government red tape doesn't take all my fun away.

I'll let you know.

Update: I phoned Canada Revenue today and talked to a snippy, contentious lady who did get me a vendor's permit. It took about 15 minutes and the permit will be mailed to me. The woman I dealt with was unpleasant but at least the work is done now.

1 comment:

Estelle said...

Have you looked at selling your jewelry on www.etsy.com? They are GREAT!! I have two shops with them and have sold my handmade goods to people all over the world! You should look at their site, but if you want an idea, check out my site. www.estellelle.etsy.com

Estelle