Thursday, October 16, 2008

Autumn Fall

I'm not positive but I believe the word "Fall" for autumn refers to the falling leaves. My backyard is filled with full grown trees that drop tons of leaves onto the grass and, although that has already started happening, the bulk of those leaves won't reach the ground until late November when I'll be lounging by the pool in Florida. So it's my sweet grandsons who will do the raking and piling into bags.

This is one more thing that could force me to sell the house and move into an apartment if my boys didn't do this job for me. As we grow older we come across more and more chores we can't accomplish on our own and one day we will definitely have to give up and get out. I don't feel too guilty about counting on my grandsons to clean up the leaves or even do a few odd little jobs that come up throughout the year but I won't stay in this house if I can't mainly take care of it myself. I see the odd house, forlorn in it's lack of upkeep, and wonder why the owners don't just call it a day and move somewhere that they can maintain.

I love the colors of fall and welcome even the beauty of falling leaves as they drift with the breeze onto the ground but, like my brand new hatred of squirrels, I wouldn't think those falling leaves so lovely if it was my job to rake them up.

I'm thinking that having my boys rake up the leaves is payback for all the poopy diapers I changed when they were babies. They owe me big time!

No comments: