Friday, October 17, 2008

Dependant on the Microwave



xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxThe microwave has been one of the most useful inventions created in my lifetime. I do have a proper stove but it serves as an extension of the kitchen counter and holds the cute little ornament shown here.
First thing in the morning I make my coffee and need the microwave to heat the half cup of milk I add the coffee to. This morning I followed my usual routine but when I returned to the kitchen to take the half cup of milk out of the microwave it was still cold.
My initial reaction was horror that one more damn thing had ceased to work or needed replacement...just when I'm only 9 days away from my escape to Florida for the winter!!
My next thought was, "How am I going to eat for the next 9 days?". Then I laughed, thinking how silly that was because I can always go out and buy a new microwave, right?
I hate to cook and don't feel one speck of shame for saying it. I only have myself to consider when it comes to meals and, since I never did like to cook, will search out the best frozen meals available or go to a restaurant. I married at 17 and never learned how to cook well. I had no instructions from anyone (my mother was as pitiful as me and my grandmother had no patience with either of us)and never seemed to get beyond feeling inadequate in the kitchen. My children can attest to the fact that I had every reason to feel inadequate. Does anyone remember my "Slow Cooker Chicken Livers"? Even the dog refused to eat them.
Anyway, back to my coffee milk. My motto is to retry if at first I fail so I resat the mug in the microwave and pushed the button. It worked. I don't know why and I don't care. All I do know is that I'll be able to eat for the next 9 days.
Note: Notice the x's along the side of the picture. This was my solution to a problem I've had trouble with on this blog. I can't seem to get my written word to start at the bottom of the picture any other way. This is the way computer illiterate people develop simple, if not logical, solutions to the many, many problems we encounter on the internet. It looks like lots of kisses and it does the job!
New problem: Now I can't get this darned blog to allow me a space between paragraphs. Sometimes I just give up.

No comments: