Saturday, October 25, 2008

How Much Can One Pack In A Car?

I'm at that point where there are only a couple more things to put in the car but then I spot just a little something and think it wouldn't hurt to add that to the pile. My car is packed fuller than the first October my husband and I drove down to Florida to our newly purchased trailer.

I remember that day well. We were both so excited but I'd gone a bit overboard in what I wanted to take. Packed in the Buick were 3 (yes, 3) vacuum cleaners...one regular upright, one small upright, and one handvac. Dennis had been squawking at me for days as I continued to hand him more things to pack. He was very efficient at getting the most stuff into the car while I start out neat but end up just tossing stuff on top of other stuff.

There was barely room for the 2 of us in the car that morning in October/2000. I was on my checking rounds around the house just before leaving when I spotted an envelope with the insurance papers for the trailer and asked Dennis to put it in the trunk. He was still squawking about how nothing more could fit in the car and the border guards had better not open any of the back doors or we'd never get them closed again. He took the envelope out to the car...it was very dark at 3 A.M...and gingerly opened the trunk, laid the envelope inside, and then tried to close the trunk. I heard a lot of swearing and banging before he stormed into the house raving that the trunk hinges had sprung. I think he blamed me!

He did manage to get the trunk closed and we got through U.S. customs without anyone opening the back doors of the car. I don't remember if I said, "I told you so", because he was still mad. He did calm down for the rest of the trip and only started up the squawking again when we reached the trailer and he realized once more how much stuff we had to unload.

Tomorrow I'll drive off with the trunk and back seat completely full but I've managed to fill the passenger seat this time, too. I have very noble intentions when I start to pack but it always gets away from me and I don't think I'll ever change so why fight it. It's just the way it is.

No comments: