Friday, October 24, 2008

Happily Living Alone

I've been widowed for about 3 1/2 years and built a very comfortable lifestyle for myself in that time. Occasionally someone will remark on how lonely I must be and I have to educate them to the fact that living alone is not necessarily lonely.

Sometimes I'm so cozy that I feel a bit guilty. I've developed so darned many hobbies and interests that there really is no time to feel lonely. I have no illusions about how lucky I am to have been able to do this because many widows live sad lives of desperation. It may have helped that I'm old enough to not want to take on the unknown.

My sister-in-law told me that if I do find another mate, he has to love big families because we have a big family. I told her that any new man in my life would have to have the following qualifications: loves big families, makes me laugh, loves to dance, has lots of money, and will let me do anything I want. I'm willing to bet that there aren't very many men like that available and none other need apply.

When I'm in Florida, I hardly have a moment to myself and I like that just fine. The more company I have, the happier I am but I still keep myself busy with Ebay and crafts in my spare time even there. At home, I have tons of interests and am developing new ones all the time. There's not near as much company dropping by but that's okay.

This would all be very different if I'd been widowed at a younger age but at this time in my life I'm quite contented on my own. That big family fills any empty gaps and we share an awful lot of love. Life is always good when you have a positive attitude and I think I've achieved that.

Just a note, though. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't mentally thank my husband for what he provided me with. I wish he could have enjoyed his elder years longer than he did. Life is good but it's not always fair, is it?

No comments: