Thursday, October 09, 2008

Recovering Chair Seats

Faye and I recovered her diningroom chair seats today and I came home with a splitting headache. It was caused by stupidly leaning my chin on the staple gun to apply pressure before shooting the staples into the fabric. Stupid? Okay.

I've watched the decorator shows on T.V. and they effortlessly recover a chair seat in just a matter of seconds but we struggled with the corners of the ones we were doing and only managed to recover 8 seats in about 6 hours. I'm not going to say we are dumb but we are definitely challenged.

It's a simple process but the corners do take some finesse and our finished product looked very nice if not perfect. Faye's husband, Gary, always seemed to arrive just as we ran out of staples so I think he was in the background listening to us. He'd fill the staple gun and then disappear until, miraculously, we ran out of staples again. Faye finally got him to show her how to load it but it was more out of fear he wouldn't reappear when needed.

Gary began his job of screwing down the seats when we were finished and worked a heck of a lot faster than we did. That's okay, though, because we did the creative part and his was only the final mechanical part.

I rarely get headaches but my head was humming as I drove home. I let the dogs out for a bark and a pee, let them run back into the house with dirty feet, and then laid down for a 2 hour nap. My head still doesn't feel right but it's getting there.

All in all, it was a productive day and I learned something new. Leaning my chin on a staple gun was a really stupid idea.

No comments: