Sunday, October 05, 2008

Reverend Samuel Billy Kyles

Occasionally during your lifetime you see or do something that is monumental, something that will remain a favorite and treasured memory for as long as you live. I experienced one of those moments today.

My sister attends a mainly black church in the city and has since she was a teenager. Every once in a while I go there also but usually because they have a special gospel group or especially interesting speaker. This is what happened today.

Reverend Kyles was a huge part of the civil rights movement way back in the 60's and part of the inner sanctum with Martin Luther King, Jr. When I heard he was to be a guest speaker at my sister's church today I had to go because it was a chance to see and hear an icon.

He spoke of the history of black slaves brought over from Africa and how only 5 of every 20 survived the trip. He spoke of how, in the space of 150 years, black men and women went from not being allowed to learn to read to becoming scientists and university professors. He spoke of how much this generation of black men and women owe to the tenacity of their slave ancestors and even to the good white people who helped them along the way.

He also told us about his years with Martin Luther King and how a group of relatively young people (all under the age of 40) spearheaded the civil rights movement in the southern states. Reverend Kyles was with Martin Luther King, Jr. the moment he was shot and died. He was the person who covered his poor shattered body with a blanket and screamed for help. But it was too late and the world lost one of the greatest men we have ever known.

These men and women fought for one thing only and that was to bring peace and equality to mankind. How sad that their charismatic leader was murdered before he could accomplish his mission. Reverend Kyles made the strong comment that someone could kill the dreamer but never the dream and he was right. I'm not stupid enough to believe racial prejudice is in the past but I've seen a lot in my 68 years and I know there is less of it. Each generation becomes more enlightened because their parents have gained enlightenment.

Some time in the future we all will have learned to accept each other for what we are and not sully our views with such inconsequentials as skin color or heritage. I won't be here when that wonderful day arrives but I have no doubt it will.

Before I left the church I went up to thank Reverend Kyles and shook his hand. Ever since I've had this unbelievable feeling that I actually touched the hand that once touched Martin Luther King, Jr. I'm overwhelmed.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

That is so incredibly cool!!