Sunday, November 16, 2008

Changing Your Attitude

I find human psychology fascinating and have a tendency to analyze everyone's behaviour, including my own.

For the past while I've been deeply agitated by certain events in my life and tried without much success to change my attitude about them. From past experiences, I've found that just looking at something from a different perspective can help you change how you feel about it.

A case in point is if you are frightened of bugs, then you have to reconsider how you look at those bugs. Can they harm you? Are they smaller than you (they better be or no amount of attitude adjustment will work)? I dislike centipedes terribly and used to have screaming terrors whenever I saw one until one day I decided to distribute cans of Raid throughout the house. I was then empowered to kill any centipede to come my way. Besides everyone being afraid I'm going to poison my own lungs, this helped me lose my fear of the little devils. I still don't like them but they don't rule my life.

And that is the golden rule. Never allow outside unpleasantries that really have no effect on your life make you crazy. Let go of things that don't concern you and just live and let live. This is not my attitude about bugs, though.

I hate being so cryptic but it's a personal matter that I've had to work my way through and I've done it. I choreographed my own attitude adjustment and I'm free!

No comments: