Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Preparing For Christmas

Here at the trailer I don't have much in the way of Christmas decorations. My little fibre optic tree will sit on the table at the front window and I'll put out either a red Xmas hand towel or a green one in the bathroom. I don't plan on putting anything Christmasy in the Florida room.

I bought a real cute metal sleigh at a yard sale last week and it sits on the patio table outside. This morning I wrapped a few books in red, green, or gold foil and put them in the sleigh along with a gold foil wrapped empty wine bottle. Then I stuck a big old red bow on the sleigh. This will be the final effort on my part to make my trailer look festive.

I do admire how many of the residents here go all out with Xmas lights and Xmas characters adorning their homes but I can't climb a ladder so there won't be any Xmas lights for me.

No matter. I love Christmas and all the hoopla that goes along with it. I love Christmas caroles sung by even the worst singer imaginable. I love the yummy turkey dinner and the unbelievable racket from our residents talking and laughing just before we're told to bow our heads in prayer before digging in to the feast we've prepared. I'm not religious but I always thank "whoever" or "whatever" for having brought me to this wonderful stage in my life. I feel blessed to be here among these good people.

The only thing missing will be my own family. They're all back home in the cold but they're together and will be enjoying their Christmas in the same way I'll enjoy mine. This is a trade-off for me. I realize I could easily fly back home for Chrstmas but I also know my children and grandchildren would have very little time to spare me because of their own busy lives. So I stay down here in the sunny south, miss them, but still manage to enjoy a different version of Christmas. And it's very nice, too!

The clubhouse will be beautifully decorated and all the tables set with individual items reflecting the people who have reserved them. Most will have Xmas tablecloths, candles, and some will have flowers. All will seat smiling seniors anticipating a wonderful dinner and loads of friendship.

Tomorrow is the American Thanksgiving and it is almost as celebratory a dinner party as we have on Christmas. I'll enjoy that, too. We are very luckly retirees and we know it.

No comments: