Saturday, February 21, 2009

Pretend Baby

A while back I saw a program on T.V. that was about grown (some even middle aged) women who purchase extremely lifelike baby dolls and pamper them like real life babies. A lady brought one of those dolls to the clubhouse today and I'm still amazed at how creepily lifelike it really was. I have never seen anything like it in my life. The doll, wrapped in a baby blanket, looked so real you almost expected it to breathe.

The dolls are terribly expensive and not aimed at the child market but at adult women. Some of these women actually have baby showers for each other to show off their new acquisitions. Pardon me but I think this is bizarre.

I can understand women purchasing these exquisite dolls as an investment but, on the T.V. show I saw, some of the ladies take their dolls out for walks hoping an unsuspecting admirer will stop to coo at it. Then they're disappointed if no-one does.

There's no question that whoever makes the dolls is an artist of the first order. I just wonder about the mental health of the women who buy them and then treat them like they're alive.

No comments: