Sunday, February 15, 2009

Senior Talent

Last night we enjoyed the "Komedy Kutups", a comedy group who entertained us at the clubhouse after pizza. I'm not sure but I think there were about 8 of them and they were darned funny, despite the hokey name. One lady sang a few songs and she was wonderful, almost operatic and out of place with a comedy team, but we don't stand on ceremony. I congratulated her after the show and she said, "Isn't it wonderful what we can do at this age?". It got me thinking that there doesn't have to be a cutting off point for talent. This lady hit only a few weak (not sour) notes but, for the most part, her voice was clear and strong. She said she'd been married for 58 years and then sang a love song to her husband. How wonderful!

I'm 68 years old and, unless I look in the mirror, forget my age. It's actually a shock sometimes to see myself in the mirror because I momentarily wonder who that old lady is. I often say I now look like my mother on her worst day (my Mom was cute). Pain and depression are what makes you feel old but continuing to live a busy and fruitful life truly does make you forget your age.

I love to see the loving old couples in the park. They walk hand in hand and seem to dance together as if they were one person. They've continued to connect as a couple despite, or maybe because of, their years. The other night at Bingo, one of our ladies mentioned that she felt a chill but that was all she said. Her husband disappeared and returned a while later with her sweater. All without her asking for it! They were a connected couple and he didn't want his beloved to be cold. That touched me so deeply because of it's simplicity and I wondered why all marriages can't turn out like that.

I guess I've gotten off the subject of senior talent but so be it. Anyway, those talented seniors in last night's show made a whole lot of people very happy.

No comments: