Saturday, April 25, 2009

Shark Steam Mop

Ever since I heard about the steam mops I've wanted one because it just made sense to me that the best way to clean floors was with steam. It's clean, environmentally safe, and it dries almost instantly. I have a basement full of laminate flooring that I've been warned not to put much water on when I clean it so it also made sense that using a steam mop was a good idea. Damp mopping laminate doesn't seem to clean it well.

My daughter warned me not to buy one because she felt it was unsafe for laminate flooring so I did my research on the internet. I wanted to know what users of the product said about it, not what the manufacturer claimed. With minor exception, users love it. What's more, people with laminate floors love it and that sold me. I popped up to Canadian Tire and bought the deluxe model ($99.99) because I wanted the carpet glide.

I haven't used the mop on the laminate flooring yet but will post when I do. This morning I put the Shark steam mop together (easy) and first began washing the ceramic tile. It was sluggish at first until I realized you don't wash your floors with the same motion you use when mopping with lots of water. You need to repeat your mopping more often but it works very well. I was impressed with using such a clean method on the floors. They did dry almost instantly which gives me hope for the laminate flooring.

Next I sat the mop end into the glider and freshened up the carpeting. Easy as pie! This is a bonus feature for me because I walk around barefoot all the time and that's not the best thing on carpeting because the oils from your feet get into the fibres.

So far I love the steam mop. Tomorrow morning I tackle the basement laminate flooring and I'll see if it works well on that.

No comments: