Saturday, May 30, 2009

Kim is 51!!

Today is my Kimmie's 51st birthday...how did we both get so darned old? Cindy had a group of us over to her house for a birthday party for Kim and, for the most part, we had excellent weather. The sun was shining but that wind has been blowing cool all spring.

Cindy's son, Kyle, was there to do the barbecuing and he gave me the great news that he's enrolled in a 2 year college course starting this fall. He's been out of school for 2 years and I worried he'd never get back to college. Most people don't go back until they're in their 30's or 40's because that's then they grow up enough to realize they need a better education. I'm so proud of Kyle for making that decision now.

My other good news today was that my eldest grandson, Nick, is also poised to return to college. He's been out 6 years but better late than never. I've always stressed to my children and grandchildren that my biggest regret in life is that I never went to university or college. Education is something that can never be taken away from you no matter where the circumstances of your life lead you.

Both of Kim's boys were at the party and I thought how lucky she was. She sat amidst family and friends, her beloved boys, and her much loved daughter-in-law who is only 1 month away from delivering Kim's first grandchild. There was a lot of love around us.

She's not happy about her age because she hasn't discovered that age really is just a number. The bigger the number, the more you've experienced and if you're really, really lucky the experiences will hold memories of many happy times. I think today will always be a good memory for her, 51 goshdarn years old or not!

2 comments:

Kim said...

51 doesn't bother me a bit. Thank you for being there to make it so much fun. 50 was very traumatic but since then we have had a lot of wondeful, positive things happen. I am so very happy. Thanks again Momma xoxox

patsyrose said...

The love of family and friends is what makes it all worth while.

luvluvluv