Sunday, May 31, 2009

Nagging Someone Else's Kids

While we were at the cemetary the other day two little girls around 7 or 8 years old rode their bikes to the back secluded area where we were talking. There is an upscale neighborhood of family homes just outside the cemetary and that's where I assume these little girls lived.

It bothered me very much that these very young children were by themselves in this area because it really is secluded and, in many parts, hidden from view of the street in front. My daughters thought I shouldn't speak to the children about the danger in which I felt they had placed themselves but I had to. I kindly explained how a bad person could be back in the area and that they couldn't be seen from the street so they really shouldn't come there by themselves. They assured me that their cousin was coming along shortly. The little girl cousin showed up as we were leaving and I was dismayed to see that she was no more than 4 or 5 years old. Where were the parents and why were these little girls allowed to wander so freely in a place filled with hiding spots?

I know those little girls probably thought I was just a nosy old lady because, at that age, they feel safe in their own skin and confident they could easily escape from anything that threatened them. The sad thing is that they were indeed placing themselves in possible danger by being alone in that cemetary.

I did part of my duty as a human being by speaking to the girls and warning them of the danger but it's bothering me that I didn't take it further and speak to their parents. Would it have changed anything? Would that have kept those children from riding their bikes into the cemetary again? I really doubt it. It's the nature of children to test their boundaries and they will always try to spread their wings, even if warned off by a nosy old lady.

Still, I'm glad I spoke to them. Maybe it will at least make them a little bit more wary.

No comments: