Saturday, May 02, 2009

Moving Closer

My middle daughter separated from her husband about 1 1/2 years ago and moved over an hour's drive away from our main family. It's not a world away but it meant we saw her less often than we wanted to and I felt as though she'd somehow abandoned us. I felt this even though I completely understood her wanting to put a few miles between us so she could start her new life fresh without the constant reminder of what she'd left behind.

Today she moved back close to us again and I'm so happy she has. It's as though she knows where she belongs and where she'll receive the most support...and that is near her family. Things are going well for her right now...nice job, nice home, and close ties to her family. She took a circuitous route but she's back and that's the important thing.

I mentioned to my eldest daughter that, over the years, I'd often thought of running away from the problem of the moment but circumstances stood in my way. If I had run away it would have been to British Columbia so I really do understand my daughter's need to get at least an hour's drive from home when she left.

Putting a little distance between yourself and your problems can be all it takes to be able to look at them clearly. My daughter spent her time putting her life back together and she's done it very well.

No comments: