Tuesday, June 23, 2009

This and That

France is debating whether or not to ban the wearing of burkas in public. This makes sense to me because it's disconcerting for the average citizen to see these apparitions floating along and wondering who the heck is inside. It's a darned good way for criminals to travel unseen, isn't it? It also goes against the grain to see these women allowing themselves to be constrained like this.

Toronto's garbage strike is now in it's 2nd day and garbage is piling up. I asked my neighbor, who works for my city's sanitation department, why people are being stopped from taking their own garbage to the dumps. My opinion is that we own them and have every right to use them but striking workers block entry. This is so wrong and, again, police would never force the workers to allow citizens through because they respect the "union".

I told my neighbor that my husband, once a fire department union man, would never cross a picket line but I would. I respect their right to protest but I think they should respect my right to use public facilities without being harassed.

Years ago public service workers were striking and blocked entry to government buildings in my city. I was furious and, if I'd had business to do there, would have gotten into a battle with anyone who attempted to stop me entering a government building. My point is that your rights end where mine begin.

Today is another gorgeous summer day (maybe not in Toronto) and I'm going to do some weeding and tidying in the yard. The grass almost needs cutting but I'll do that tomorrow. There are lots of birds visiting my yard these days and it's a joy just to watch them as they go about their business. I didn't sleep well last night so I'm hoping I won't be too tired to relax outside...relaxing when you're tired can lead to a nap and I don't want to go there.

I've just become interested in buying Clinique products. I never bothered before because they're kind of expensive but my friend talked me into buying some when they offered a nice bonus package. It turned out that the serum worked better on my sun damaged face than the prescription cream I've been buying and the mascara didn't irritate my sensitive little eyes, either. All in all, I'm really pleased with the product but not the horrendous price... but then I discovered I could buy it cheaper on Ebay. The internet opens up a whole world of opportunities to us.

I watched a nasty display of journalism on T.V. last night. Apparently there's an uproar over Kate (Jon & Kate plus 8) slapping one of the kids on the butt when they misbehaved. Although I don't advocate slapping children anymore, I don't think a slap on the butt is going to scar a child. I do think that Jon and Kate have no right to complain about annoying paparazzi, though, since they've bared their lives to the public in order to make tons of money. I used to love watching that family on T.V. because I thought they were wholesome. Well, the kids still are but their parents have feet of clay.

We're counting down the days now until our new baby arrives. Little Nolan is due July 2nd but his Momma's tummy is so big she's having trouble moving around. From the back you'd never know she was pregnant but from the front...whooo! I can't wait to touch that soft newborn skin and feel his precious milky breath on my neck. I'm hoping he looks like his Daddy, my grandson, but I'll love him no matter who he looks like. It's so exciting welcoming a new little person into the family and watching him develop his own personality. We're hoping he hasn't inherited his uncle Matt's wild ways, though. I'm not sure I have the strength to go through that again.

Well, time to stop typing and get some work done.


5 comments:

Kim said...

I've been using Clinique perfume for over 30 years now, still love it.
The Jon & Kate fiasco is very difficult to watch because it really is real and it is sad for all concerned.
Nolan...9 days till I can nibble his toes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

patsyrose said...

9 days until I can nuzzle him into my neck!!!!!

Shelley said...

Burkas - can't ban them or we should have banned low-riding pants that show people' butts. LOL

Jon and Kate - pathetic and sad

Nolan - keep me posted!!!! I claim the cheeks to chew on!!!!

patsyrose said...

The problem with burkas is that they hide the person inside and that's dangerous. Visible butt cracks aren't dangerous, just icky to see (except on babies).

Nolan's chewable cheeks...you take one and I'll take the other. I can't wait!!!!!

Shelley said...

It's interesting, the shoeshiners that walk around La Paz wear a facecovering that is similar to a skimask...freaked me out the first time I saw it. Then I read somewhere that that is their traditional uniform. Weird, huh?