Thursday, July 16, 2009

Canadian National Anthem Sung in Hindi?

Canada has two official languages, English and French. Having a country with two languages is already one too many but the idea of our national anthem being sung in Hindi at the 2010 Olympics in British Columbia is outrageous.

We have a large population of Indian/Pakistani immigrants in Canada who are very welcome but we don't need another official language thrust upon us. Before the influx of Indian immigrants there were equally large groups of Italian, German, Hungarian, Polish, etc. and none have had the temerity to suggest their languages be used in singing the Canadian national anthem at the 2010 Olympics.

I read a blog saying how welcome immigrants are into this fine country and I feel the same way. We are all descendants of immigrants from various countries but, when one immigrates to a new country, it is only proper to assimilate and respect the culture of that country. It is totally improper to disregard an established culture and attempt to foist your own onto it. In other words, if I were to immigrate to India and the Olympics were to be held there, it would be a big no-no for me to insist they sing the Indian national anthem in English.

There's an old saying, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do.". I think that means to show respect for the country that allowed you in.

There is a time and a place for Indians to express their homeland pride but the 2010 Olympics being held in Canada requires our national anthem to be sung in our official languages and Hindi isn't one of them.

Note: Shelley informed me that this news report was an urban legend and not true at all. Why are these falsehoods spread, anyway? It makes me realize that I need to get the facts before I jump to conclusions. There is enough drama in the world without people spreading untruths.

2 comments:

Shelley said...

No worries Momma - that was an urban legend.

patsyrose said...

You're kidding??? I am so embarrassed!