Thursday, July 02, 2009

Discrimination or What?

Canada Day, to me, is a day when all Canadians should be rejoicing in the wonderful country we live in and being thankful it is our home.


This Canada Day, an exceptionally good Chinese buffet restaurant offered free meals to anyone proving they were a Canadian citizen. Nice of them? Yes, but someone decided that it was a violation of human rights for this lovely gesture to be offered to Canadian citizens only. How ridiculous. It is my undeniable right to donate to the charity or nationality of my choice, isn't it? And to call it a violation of "human rights" is abominable.


The whole moronic episode reminded me of how our Tim Horton's restaurants used to offer free coffee and doughnuts to police officers. The owner of Tim's was once a police officer and this was his way of doing a nice thing for them. Someone (and often it only takes one person) put up a big fuss about this "discrimination" against the people who weren't cops and I'm not sure but I think the practice was stopped. Why do we let these idiots rule our lives?


To the generous restauranteur who tried to honor his fellow Canadians...don't let malcontents spoil your kind intentions. Don't let them blackmail you and don't let them discourage you. You did a very nice thing. I love your restaurant, the "Mandarin", but I couldn't face the crowds I knew would be there on Canada Day. I will definitely continue to patronize your restaurant on quieter days because the food can't be beat.


To the complainers...if you aren't Canadian citizens you won't qualify for our old age pension either so just be thankful you're still able to live in a peaceful and civilized country.



No comments: