Thursday, July 23, 2009

Not So Nice Anniversary

My husband passed away 4 years ago and, on the anniversary of his death, my brother-in-law who lives in Chicago phoned me. He does this every year on the anniversary of Dennis' death and I think it helps both of us cope with the loss.

As we talked, the subject of what I saw minutes after Dennis passed away came up and it turned out I had never mentioned this to Wayne. He's by far the most religious one in the family and it shocked me that I'd neglected to tell him.

Wayne listened as I told him about seeing a burst of energy (?) shoot out from Dennis' head about 15 minutes after he'd passed away. It happened so fast and so unexpectedly that I wasn't sure what I'd seen but I could clearly see how a density of air filled the room within seconds before it gradually dissipated. I'd never seen nor heard of such a thing but my firm belief is that what I saw was Dennis' soul escaping his body. I'm not religious, probably can be referred to as an agnostic, so this wasn't a religious experience for me. It was a factual experience that I have felt very privileged to have witnessed.

My feeling about life after death is that it just makes sense. The life we lead now really makes very little sense and the only reason for us occupying this space in time must be simply as a learning period. There has to be a higher calling than the quest for possessions. There has to be a higher purpose than to kill and maim. I am really hoping that the next existence is a place of only kindness and love.

Wayne, being the good Christian he is, agreed that what I saw was Dennis' soul breaking free. I, being the agnostic I am, know exactly what I saw and can only guess at it's significance.

I wish Dennis had more time here but maybe the next phase will be a happier one for him. I hope so.

No comments: