Sunday, July 12, 2009

Under Water...Again!

This house will be the death of me. Yesterday we had an absolute deluge of rain, almost looked like a hurricane going through and I, stupidly, was only worried about my lawn chairs being blown away. Jake walked past the front door and calmly said, "There's water coming in the front door.". Damned if water wasn't pouring in through one of the stained glass windows and also slightly under the door. I was so shocked because I'd never seen anything like it before. Now I have to see about having the putty stuff around the windows and under the door fixed!

I quickly checked the basement where I'd had the trouble 2 years ago but all of that was dry as a bone. Should be, after spending $3500 to fix it!! But this morning I noticed the workroom/furnace room floor looked awfully dark and damned if water hadn't poured in there and toward the door, soaking a large mat. Actually, if the mat hadn't been there to soak up most of the water, it would have come into the rec room and damaged the laminate flooring. I am so fed up.

When I had the foundation excavated in 2007, I only had them do the front of the house and a slight turn around to the side and that was a mistake on my part. It's very possible I'll have to have them come back and do the whole side now.

Almost every day I run into some little problem or irritant that tells me it's time to sell this house and move on and it would be so nice to not have to worry about fixing things. I guess depending on an apartment superintendant can have it's own downfalls, too, but I'm really tired of struggling with this house now.

But today is a day of celebration and we're having a potluck out in the yard. Children, grandchildren, aunts and uncles, cousins, brothers and sisters and various in-laws..and the weather is perfect. I'll just forget about the basement and concentrate on my precious family. After all, what is more important?

No comments: