Sunday, August 30, 2009

Defining Moments

As I sat tonight enjoying a glass of Limoncello, left by grandson Matt a few months ago, I started thinking about defining moments.

There is the defining moment when you know you're in love and there is also the defining moment when you know you aren't.

There is also the defining moment when you realize that you won't live forever or that your life is about to end.

There will be many defining moments in your life but none as wrenching as the ones I just mentioned. In between all of these moments are fillers, either happiness, sadness, or any of the other emotions we are able to experience. You'll lose or gain friends, spend empty days or days too filled with unwanted work. But they're just fillers.

The important days are the ones when you fall in or out of love, or accept your mortality. They are the true defining moments of anyone's life.

Of course, this could just be the Limoncello talking.

2 comments:

Shelley said...

Cicero probably came up with some of his best stuff while sipping Limoncello too! :-)

patsyrose said...

I once wrote a story while under the influence and it was hilarious if I do say so myself. Unfortunately, it was written in the days when I was terrified of anyone reading my stuff and I destroyed it. Maybe for the best!