Friday, August 21, 2009

Night Away

I'm realizing more and more what a homebody I am. I yearn to travel and see new things but I don't want to leave my home to do it. Very unreasonable of me, isn't it?

Yesterday Faye and Gary took me to visit and stay overnight at Gary's brother and sister-in-law's house. I love these people and always enjoy their company. They have the supreme gift of making their guests feel welcome and cared about.

We spent the afternoon and part of the evening at an auction. I love auctions because it's interesting to see what prices the items will bring and it's also a place to occasionally get terrific bargains. I didn't buy anything yesterday but the rest of them did, especially Pat & Ken because they sell on Ebay.

It was getting dark when we left the auction to go to a family restaurant for dinner. Dinner was fabulous, by the way, and I'm just sorry the restaurant is so far away from my home. We got back to Pat & Ken's around 10 P.M. and settled down with glasses of wine and nice conversation. P&K's home is like a Coca Cola museum because it's so filled with the Coke memorabilia they collect and occasionally sell.

2 glasses of wine later and we were all ready to go to bed and I did sleep fairly well. Sleeping in a strange bed, no matter how comfortable, often gives me a sleepless night but maybe the wine helped soothe me.

This morning we sat out on the deck drinking coffee and enjoying the gorgeous weather...warm and breezy. It was going to be one of those rare, perfect summer days we haven't had enough of this summer. Ken cooked us all breakfast about mid morning and then we went for a walk around the campground. P&K live in a huge mobile home with many additions which is permanently situated in a campground. Most of the dwellings are permanent cottages but they do allow some transient trailers in the summer. It's one of those places where you could stay 11 months of the year if necessary but the park must close for 1 month. P&K spend 6 months of the winter in Florida so their summer home meets all of their needs. It's a lovely place and I'd consider moving there if it wasn't so far away from my family.

We spent most of the rest of the day on the deck eating and drinking (some wine but mostly water) and chatting. It was so pleasant being with these good and interesting people, feeling the warmth of a summer day with the added bonus of a steady breeze. Who could ask for more?

By 4:30 P.M., Faye, Gary, and I packed our stuff in the car and headed back home. It had been a lovely little getaway but I was very happy to be back in my own house once again. There's no place like home.

No comments: