Thursday, September 17, 2009

Kids' Not So Pracious Moments

I've been hooting with laughter every time I watch the T.V. clip of a father who caught the ball at a Phillies' game, gently hand it to his little daughter, and then look in horror as she quickly tossed it back to the field. It's a classic example of how our kids can embarrass or shock us in the blink of an eye. Funny as hell as long as it doesn't happen to us.

Here are just a few times when my own kids made their contribution.

Cindy, aged 3, loudly asking me why a lady passing by hadn't washed her face. The lady was black.

Kim, aged 4, sweetly calling a nice neighbor lady an f....n b....h (words she didn't understand taught to her by an older girl). The neighbor never spoke to us again.

Matt, aged 2, screaming out the car's open window when he spotted construction workers with a tractor..."F...K". That was how he said "truck" and I can still see the shocked looks on the workers' faces.

Dennis, aged 43 (yes, 43), as our daughter was opening wedding gifts..."I can't imagine why anyone would buy them something like that!", spoken to a stranger who was the one who had bought them that.

I once asked a lady when her baby was due and she wasn't pregnant. Haven't we all done that at one time or another??

Back to the misguided father who lost his ball. I hope someone was nice enough to give it back but, even if he never lays hands on it again, he and his beautiful little girl have a great story they can tell for the rest of their lives...and the video, too.

No comments: