Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Stranger at the Door...Again!

7:30 P.M. and getting dark. A knock comes at the door and my first thought was that it couldn't be the strange man again...could it? I walked to the door and looked through the peephole really expecting to see Lisa and Anna but there stood a strange man. I wasn't sure if it was the same strange man from the other night but I did know that he wasn't anyone I recognized.

Of course I didn't open the door but this time I raced to my little phone book and called Steve and Isabel who live right across the road. I knew that if Steve wasn't home, Isabel could beat the crap out of any felon if the need arose. Steve answered the phone and I said, "There's a man on my front porch and I don't know who he is.". Steve replied, "I'll be right there.". That's the kind of neighbors I have and why I love living in this neighborhood.

I walked back to the door and could see the man wasn't there and moments later Steve arrived. He pointed up the street to a man going door to door, apparently selling something. That must have been the man who frightened me the other night, too, and I wondered why he was doing this. Steve said someone had knocked on his door the other night, also, and there had been no lights on inside so why would a salesman bother? It's also possible these guys (or guy) are casing the neighborhood looking for empty houses to rob.

Steve said his man had been selling Globe and Mail subscriptions so I'm going to phone them tomorrow and tell them to stop sending salesmen out to knock on doors at night. This is a scary world now and I will never answer my door to a stranger ever again. I'm so grateful to my good neighbor, Steve, who ran over here in his stocking feet. Bless his heart!

No comments: