Thursday, October 08, 2009

Fall Garden Cleanup

Today was sunny and almost warm with no rain so I decided to do some garden cleanup in preparation for winter. Par for the course with me is that I begin one job only to be tempted away by another and that's why my garden cleanup is patchy.

I started out pulling out flowers from the potted plants, then veered off to pull them out of the hanging plants. One yank too many and it broke apart and hit the patio...big mess I'll clean up later. Then I wandered out to the garden on the front side of the house to dig out a hosta I wanted to save from the guys who were going to be digging up that spot to waterproof the basement. That darned hosta has only been in there a couple of years but it's grown roots to China so I had a rough time with it. In the end I cut it in half and transplanted the halves in the backyard garden where I can dig them up again in the spring.

Halfway into the transplant job, I decided to move some of the landscaping stones out of that area, too, but wore myself out before I finished the job. As a change of pace, I wandered into the backyard again and pulled out some more potted plants for a few moments until I noticed some overgrown bushes so I got out the garden snips and cut them back.

This reminded me that the clematis out front needed cutting back, too, so off I went again. That didn't take long so I went into the backyard again and put lawn chairs and little tables into the toolshed. I'd planned to strap up the large patio table but I was just too tired. I still have 2 weeks to get this stuff done so I don't know why I wear myself out trying to do it all in one day. It really does get harder for me every year and I may have to bribe a grandson to help me next time.

I came into the house, washed up and considered a nap but then I remembered I needed to do some grocery shopping for Thanksgiving. I'd also had nothing to eat all day...bad, I know...and it was mid afternoon so I first stopped at Wendy's for the $3.99 special (5 nuggets, baked potato, and Diet Coke)...not the best choice, I know.

I really think I jump from one thing to another because I have a low boredom tolerance. For whatever reason, my garden is still not closed up for the winter but it will get done within the next two weeks.

No comments: