Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Church

I seldom go to church, usually just for a wedding or funeral but there are still things about a church service that confuse me. I listened to a comedian joking about how he never knew when it was time to stand up or sit down during a service and that's one of the big things I can't figure out. Why do we stand during some songs but sit during others?

Why does a church leader wear funny robes or collars? What is in the water a baby is baptized with and why is the baptism necessary since children are born perfect? Why do the wafers taste like cardboard and why should we eat them (I spit mine into a tissue)?

Why do most religions frown on parishioners marrying someone of another religion? Why is it a rule that priests remain unmarried? Why do some church leaders preach hatred against other religions, countries, or individuals? Why are some churches so ornate and expensive?

And the big question...why do some people who are deeply religious commit every sin imaginable?

When I was a little child, I was sent to Sunday school where I tormented the teachers with questions. Their only reply was, "You just have to believe.". Why did they have no answers for a curious child who was just trying to understand. To this day I'm still trying to understand.

No comments: