Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Happy 90th, Vida!

It's quite a feat these days to live to the ripe old age of 90 but our Aunt Vida did just that yesterday. Faye, Donna and I took her out for lunch at our favorite pasta restaurant, La Spaghett, and we all enjoyed the meal immensely. Vida took most of her's home with her, though, and it's almost as good when it's reheated.

We came back to my place after so that Donna could learn how to prepare her new monk's cloth. I'm so pleased that she likes this new craft enough to carry on with it through the winter. Her plans are to make a Xmas afghan first and then start making afghans for herself and family later on. Faye is also ready to start another one as a gift for our niece-in-law, Rochelle.

I brought out all the table runners I'd made over the past few years and gave my favorite one to Vida. I'm not quite sure what to do with these things because I have made so many. I've given a lot away but people will only take so much. Not everyone loves Swedish weaving as much as I do!

Faye took Vida home early but Donna and I kept working on our present projects and yakked the afternoon away. It's such an enjoyable way to spend the day and I'll resume doing it every week when I return in April if Faye and Donna are still interested.

I'm getting worried about all the rain in the forecast because my roof still hasn't been done and I'm leaving for Florida on the 25th, rain or shine or unfinished roof. They can't do it in the rain and the only clear days ahead seem to be the week before I leave and, unfortunately (or fortunately), that's when the men are coming to dig up the side of the house and waterproof it. Both groups can't operate at the same time. I plan ahead but still have problems. Go figure!

This morning I have to have some blood tests and then go to the dentist for a cleaning...not the most pleasant day to look forward to, but necessary. The wind is howling and it's raining again so I'd really rather stay home but you gotta do what you gotta do, I guess.

I finally got in touch with the people who are going to clean the trailer before I get there. They'll powerwash it and the patio, then put sealer on the rubber roof. They're very nice and efficient people so I'm looking forward to moving right into my spiffy clean trailer when I get to Florida. That leaves me free to clean up the garden weeds (which pull out easily because they're in sand) and plant flowers. I'm so lucky to be able to garden all year round.

Now if it would only stop raining here I could put my Canadian garden to bed for the winter. That's a day's work and I can just see me trying to do it while people are tearing up the roof and digging up the foundation. This isn't how I'd planned it!

2 comments:

bluebird of paradise said...

sounds like you are enjoying life to the fullest.
have a safe trip to Florida. One of these years I'm driving down with you !

patsyrose said...

That would be so much fun, Marilee! Try to make it for next year, okay?