Saturday, December 19, 2009

Yard Sale Experience

I went shopping today but, being the junkie I am, I followed a few yard sale signs along the way. I bought a trailing vine in a watering can clay pot for $1.00, a "welcome" sign for 25 cents, a child's book teaching hand signs for 25 cents (for Nolan), a Beanie snake for 25 cents (for Joann), and a package of needlepoint booklets for 50 cents. I had a unique experience at the yard sale where I bought the needlepoint booklets...the seller was drunk.

It was sad, really, because she kept telling me to make her an offer she couldn't refuse but she was so drunk she ran out of breath before she could finish the sentence. So she'd start again, tripping over her own feet and trying to convince me to buy everything she had. This was a lovely looking woman in her early 30's and I wondered what in her life resulted in the drunken character before me.

Every once in a while she'd call out questions to a man lurking inside the garage and I wondered why he didn't put a stop to the yard sale and take this lady into the house.

No-one really knows the drama and disappointments that live behind closed doors, do we?

No comments: