Sunday, March 07, 2010

Living in a Senior Park

Living in a senior park has ever so many advantages but there are also disadvantages. One of which is the ever present reminder of how limited our lifespan happens to be.

I've spent half the year in this park since 1998 and have made many great friends, many wonderful acquaintances, and just a few creeps. It's always a sad return to the park in October to discover that not all of us survived the summer. And then there are always a few who don't even make it through the winter. It's a constant reminder that we are given only a select few years on this earth to make it a better place.

I have no religion but I do have my opinions on why we're here and where we go from here. Why some of us leave this life in cruel and painful ways makes no sense to me and probably never will. If anything makes me doubt my belief in an afterlife, this is it.

There is no doubt in my mind that the world is gradually becoming a more evil and dangerous place and that there is a larger percentage of "bad" people than when I was a child. It's as though mankind is on a slow and unstoppable decline. But then, maybe it's just me seeing things through aging eyes.

In less than a month, I've seen 2 seniors from this park die a painful and lingering death and it makes me wonder why they had to suffer in this way. I have so many questions and I hope one day to have the answers.

Today the sun is shining and Florida is finally warming up. I feel blessed to have this day because today is all we have, tomorrow is just a maybe.

No comments: